Wednesday, November 14, 2018

Medicine Balls

I have some medicine balls. Not this many:


One of mine is slightly larger than a basketball and weighs 5 kilograms. That's right: kilograms, not pounds. I wonder where it's from, originally. Probly not Murrka.

Another one is slightly larger than a shot which is thrown in the shot put. And there's got to be simpler way of mentioning such a shot. Then again, maybe not. It's just barely small enough that I could put it like a shot. I'm very curious about how far I could put it. I'm not going to find out today because it's icy outside. Okay, I could go outside right now and put it. I probably won't. We'll see.

I know that exercise with medicine balls generally involves throwing them. But I can't throw them inside my house, which has limited space and fragile walls and floors. I watched a video yesterday in which a trainer had his clients throw medicine balls as hard as they could against cinder block walls. At one point the trainer said approvingly of his client, a UFC fighter, "Yeah, he's trying to throw that ball right through that wall." I sometimes hold a medicine ball and move around with it, or shift it from hand to hand, or throw it up, but not high enough to hit the low ceiling, and catch it before it hits the floor, and repeat. I don't know whether I'm getting good exercise when I do such things, or injuring myself, or neither. Hey, maybe I'm doing both!

Yesterday I was holding the 5 kilogram ball, and I actually wondered whether it was about as heavy as medicine balls get! Yeah, it seems kind of silly in retrospect that I wondered that, because I googled it and found medicine balls weighing as much as 300 pounds.


The 300-pounders are not any bigger than regular medicine balls. I don't know what they're made of, whether they're rubber all the way through -- extra-heavy rubber -- or basically just iron or brass with a very thin coating of rubber, or what. I don't know -- if you can play catch with one of those, you may be overdoing it, and maybe you just need a really good hug. But who am I to judge? Go ahead and get your freaky strong on if you want to.

I'm pretty sure that I could lift a 300 lb medicine off of the ground or floor all by myself. I'm also pretty sure that if I did it right now, I'd injure myself. But it doesn't have to stay that way. I could transform myself from a Great Big Fat Guy to a Great Big Freakishly Strong Guy Who is Not Fat At All. It's possible. Or I could go thin. I've been thin before, it wasn't bad at all. It was much easier to jump around like a cat when I was thin. Or I could just forget about everything except enjoying lots and lots of great food, and go for 500 lbs. (Weighing 500 lbs, that is. Not working out with a 500-lb ball. Although that too would be possible...)

I think that tossing the medicine balls as described above, repeating for dozens of reps, is good for me. I think I can feel myself getting stronger and less fat. Tossing a medicine ball just a little ways into the air, because of the low ceiling, I can feel it in muscles all over me, from my calves to my neck.

I think it's possible that I won't write any more Great Big Fat Guy posts. Maybe instead, the next Great Big Fat Guy post will just be a Great Big Guy post. That'd be sweet. And I think it's more likely than me weighing 500 lbs. Yeah, I really feel it all over. Feels good. There is no doubt, I'm getting some good exercise from these medicine balls.

(But, of course, a well-rounded exercise program includes many kinds of exercise. Don't get me wrong: I'm not saying that medicine balls can do it for you all by themselves.)

(Although...)

No comments:

Post a Comment