Sunday, January 27, 2019

True Stories From My Life. Part 3: The Past Few Days

(100% true.)

I began the day intending to look through my two volumes of Isidore of Seville's etymologariam, hoping I might get some sort of idea for a blog post about Isidore and other ancient compilers of knowledge into more or less the form of what we call encyclopedias.

Then I saw something which I had forgotten: that the first page of the praefatio editoris in vol I of my copy of Isidore's compilation was badly printed, so that the words were fainter than they should have been. It's just the first page, as far as I can tell, but it really threw me off.

I wonder how much my new glasses will help me with things like this faintly-printed page. On Wednesday I got a new eyeglass prescription, I spent most of Thursday in the hospital, on Friday I dropped off my prescription with a program that gave me a free pair of new glass years ago, and, I hope, will do it again, because I'm living on Federal disability benefits, and a new pair of glasses would be a big expense for me.

On Friday, and twice today, Sunday, I got calls from strangers who had been alerted about my hospital stay and called to see how I was and if I needed anything. Calls like that, and the free eyeglasses, are just two examples of the fine community in which I live, and its unusual commitment to giving help to people who actually need it.

The weather here has been very, very cold since before last Thursday, and I think that might be a big part of what happened to me Thursday: I just freaked out because I didn't have the psychological wherewithal to deal with the extreme weather, and with my anxiety about difficulties to which the weather could lead.

Tomorrow's weather is forecast to be much warmer, then there will be several extremely-cold days, then it will get much warmer again. I went to Kroger's today, and I was intending to shovel my walk after that, but I looked at it and decided it's fine. There isn't that much snow on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment