Monday, August 17, 2020

Terry Gilliam and Baseball Caps

I believe that Terry Gilliam has said that baseball caps are ridiculous. I haven't been able to find a quote where he says as much, but you know what else I haven't been able to find? A picture of Terry Gilliam in a baseball cap. If he's not bare-headed, he tends to be wearing something like this:


One of the movies Terry Gilliam has directed, The Fisher King, is my very favorite movie, and several more of his movies are among my very favorites. Such was my admiration for Terry Gilliam that until very recently, I just assumed that he must be right on the subject of hats, and that there must be something completely ridiculous about baseball caps which I couldn't see.

How recently? Until last night. Last night I just happened to see a very beautiful young lady, and she just happened to be wearing a baseball cap. Now, I had read Gilliam's remarks about baseball caps decades ago -- or perhaps I heard them, in a radio interview -- and in those decades I naturally had seen many, many baseball caps, and many of them had been worn by beautiful women -- but it wasn't until last night that I actually looked, and, at the very same time, thought about what Terry Gilliam had said about hats and caps, and decided that, no matter what Terry Gilliam thought about it, I didn't think that there was anything wrong with the way this young lady looked.

It wasn't until last night that I thought, perhaps one should give less weight to Terry Gilliam, when he says that baseball caps are ridiculous, than to the billions of people who have worn them and found them to be just fine.

And even if I had still found Gilliam to be infallible up to this point: this morning, while researching this post ( = failing to find that quote about baseball caps), I found some other quotes by Terry Gilliam, about how he hated the Marvel Comics superhero movie Black Panther, and thought that the women in the MeToo movement had "made their own choices," and how he was "tired of white men being blamed for everything." I'm sure it's a great relief to all of the black people in the US who haven't done anything wrong, and are being arrested and imprisoned and shot for being black, that, at least according to Terry Gilliam, they're not being blamed for anything.

So. I guess we learn -- once again -- that nobody's perfect. A man who has directed some magnificent movies can still be a racist, sexist asshole with eccentric opinions about headwear.

No comments:

Post a Comment