Saturday, August 7, 2021

Dream Log: Cooling Cards

 Last night I dreamed that my mother, my father, by brother and I were in downtown South Bend, Indiana, in the middle of a winter storm. We were standing on a sidewalk when Snoop Dogg approached and gave us the keys to a new electric dune buggy.


As we piled into the dune buggy, exclaiming our amazement and gratitude, Snoop handed me a couple of large joints. "These are joints, not blunts," he told me, "because I know you don't like tobacco."

As I drove, my brother and I passed a joint back and forth. My Mom and Dad declined to partake.  None of us was the slightest bit cold, despite driving around in a dune buggy during a blizzard.

As we came around a bend on the snow-packed streets, we could see Snoop and several other people in a similar buggy up ahead. I beeped the horn and we all all waved. Snoop laughed, and everybody in that buggy waved back. 

Then I was in a TV show, watching it. That is, I was a spectator of the show, not a participant in the production, but instead of watching it on a TV or some other device, I was among the actors, who interacted with me as they did with each other, although everyone knew I was a spectator. The show was really terrible, an oppressive sci-fi dystopia with no talent showing in the acting nor in the direction nor in the script.

However, many of the participants really believed that they were all geniuses. Every now and then someone would ask how I liked the show, and when I fail to exhibit sufficient enthusiasm, they got really angry. They began to threaten me with non-fictional violence.

Then I was out of there, and was dealing with the cooling cards. I was a sales rep for the company which manufactured the cards, and business was booming. The cooling cards -- that's what everybody called them -- ranged from about the size of credit cards to somewhat smaller than license plates. They were heated to several hundred degrees, and then, as they cooled, text appeared on their surface, reported their temperature, the rate at which the were cooling, the cooling shown in graphs and so forth. Their surfaces were touch screens, allowing the user to change the information, the colors and fonts of the text and so forth. Although the cards were sometimes very hot, no one was ever burned by handling them. I can only explain this by saying that it was a completely unrealistic detail of the dream, just like my family not getting cold in the dune buggy.

The information recorded on these cards was supposedly going to be used to make things such as cellphones and electric vehicles safer and less likely to catch fire. However, the general public bought them just because of the way they looked. Some of the font colors were especially popular, such as a day glo orange and green. People would just sit around and play with these cards all day long. Some health advocates warned against cooling card addiction, and of course this made our sales skyrocket. 

I talked with Snoop about all this, and he helped me come to the conclusion that I should quit the sales rep job. "You ain't gonna starve if you quit," he told me, "and ain't nobody ever gonna pay you enough to make you believe something wrong is alright. Righteous mofos never could be bought."

No comments:

Post a Comment