Thursday, March 14, 2019

"Is He Crazy or is That Just the Way He Acts?"

I saw that headline over a picture of Trump, and, like many others, I'm sure, at first I assumed it was someone talking about Trump -- perhaps a high-level Republican, speaking off the record, to be sure, but getting pretty tired of pretending that Trump isn't a lunatic and a jackass.

But no, that's a quote from Trump, talking to reporters today about Beto O'Rourke's announcement of his candidacy for the Democratic nomination for President as he sat beside the Irish Prime Minister.


Trump's entire comment on the subject was:

"I think he's got a lot of hand movement. Is he crazy or is that just the way he acts? I've never seen hand movement. I watched him a little while this morning doing, I assume some kind of a news conference, and I've actually never seen anything quite like it. Study it; I'm sure you'll agree."

It's not just that Trump insults everyone: his insults are so dumb and dull. So utterly lacking in wit, style and grace. Every time we hear another of Donald's insults we groan and roll our eyes and ask ourselves how anyone could ever like this moron.

Just for relief from the daily dullness of the moron-in-Chief, I'm going to quote some insults from someone who was really good at it: that great American, Mark Twain, O how we need his like right now:

"It [the press] has scoffed at religion till it has made scoffing popular. It has defended official criminals, on party pretexts, until it has created a United States Senate whose members are incapable of determining what crime against law and the dignity of their own body is—they are so morally blind—and it has made light of dishonesty till we have as a result a Congress which contracts to work for a certain sum and then deliberately steals additional wages out of the public pocket and is pained and surprised that anybody should worry about a little thing like that."

"Benjamin Franklin did a great many notable things for his country, and made her young name to be honored in many lands as the mother of such a son. It is not the idea of this memoir to ignore that or cover it up. No; the simple idea of it is to snub those pretentious maxims of his, which he worked up with a great show of originality out of truisms that had become wearisome platitudes as early as the dispersion from Babel."

"When I, a thoughtful and unblessed Presbyterian, examine the Koran, I know that beyond any question every Mohammedan is insane; not in all things, but in religious matters. When a thoughtful and unblessed Mohammedan examines the Westminster Catechism, he knows that beyond any question I am spiritually insane."

"Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."

"It does look as if Massachusetts were in a fair way to embarrass me with kindnesses this year. In the first place, a Massachusetts judge has just decided in open court that a Boston publisher may sell, not only his own property in a free and unfettered way, but also may as freely sell property which does not belong to him but to me; property which he has not bought and which I have not sold. Under this ruling I am now advertising that judge's homestead for sale, and, if I make as good a sum out of it as I expect, I shall go on and sell out the rest of his property."

"The only reason why God created man is because he was disappointed with the monkey."

"Mr. Roosevelt is the most formidable disaster that has befallen the country since the Civil War—but the vast mass of the nation loves him, is frantically fond of him, even idolizes him. This is the simple truth. It sounds like a libel upon the intelligence of the human race, but it isn't; there isn't any way to libel the intelligence of the human race."


No comments:

Post a Comment