Wednesday, January 15, 2020

Dream Log: Young Doctors in Love

I dreamed that I was an intern in a show somewhat like "Scrubs," and that I fell in love with another doctor.

The hospital where we worked looked as if it might have been built in the 1920's or earlier: a lot of grey bricks on the outside, a lot lacquered wood and Parcheesi-patterned tile on the inside. The building was huge, and we doctors got a fairly good workout running from ward to ward.

I don't actually know anything about medicine, so there's nothing to tell you our actual work.

We got caught up in zany situations.


For example: a large group of doctors, nurses, orderlies and other hospital employees came around a corner in a hallway, and there in a small cafeteria were a bunch of thugs well-known and frightening to us. They were wearing brightly-colored zoot suits. We ran past them to a stairway door, but when we opened the door we saw that someone had reversed the staircase, so that the only way to go through the door was to jump one story down.

For another example: I met a gentleman out in front of the hospital who said that he was looking for my boss, my boss had some explaining to do. I assumed that he meant my immediate superior, and I directed the man toward his office, thinking that this might be amusing to watch. But the more the man talked about the man who had some explaining to do, the less it seemed like my superior. All of a sudden I realized that he was not talking about the supervisor of interns to whom I reported, but the director of the entire hospital, a man I found to be much more frightening and less fun, and so I literally ran away.

That evening, another intern and I were getting increasingly touchy-feelly, and then all of a sudden we were full-on snogging.

snog
/snäɡ/

informal•British
verb
verb: snog; 3rd person present: snogs; past tense: snogged; past participle: snogged; gerund or present participle: snogging

kiss and caress amorously.
"the pair were snogging on the sofa"

noun
noun: snog; plural noun: snogs

an act or spell of amorous kissing and caressing.
"he gave her a proper snog, not just a peck"


At this point we were not certain that anyone had seen us. We said sensible-sounding things about not letting a relationship interfere with our jobs, and how there were good reasons why such relationships were frowned upon and seen as unprofessional, and so forth.

I went home and went to sleep, and had beautiful dreams about her.

That's right: I dreamed that I fell asleep and had dreams. In the dreams she was naked in a rain forest.

The next morning, first thing at work, although I was supposed to be doing other things, I went looking for her. My heart was pounding. I was so afraid that maybe she had meant those things she had said about being "sensible." I had said the same things, but I had been completely insincere. I didn't care about this job or any job, compared to being with her. Being with her was fundamentally more important.

Then I rounded a corner in the hallway and there she was, looking a bit more disheveled than usual, which made her look even more heartbreakingly beautiful than ever. I assumed that there was no possible way that I looked completely normal.

Before I could do anything or say a word she was in my arms with her head resting against my chest. We held each other so gently yet were so closely entwined at the same time. Some lyrics from a Suzanne Vega song ran through my head: "Hold me like a baby that will not fall asleep." She said sweet things, and I heard and felt each word at the same time, felt it vibrate on my chest. I lifted her up and we snogged for a while, then I set her back on her feet and she put her head on my chest again and said that she loved me. I said it back.

The rest of the dream consisted basically of us holding hands, and occasionally snogging, and waiting for someone to officially tell us that we were in trouble. Occasionally we would make an attempt to do our jobs, but we just stared uncomprehending at computer screens, impaired because we were brand-new in love.

And then I woke up.

No comments:

Post a Comment