Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Missed My Window

It's too late for me to apologize to him for inaccurately assuming that he had been a suburban boy with certain things in common with me, because I hadn't known he was a kid in Brooklyn before his family moved to Long Island. And beyond just acknowledging that I was wrong, that I was misinformed, as I'm doing now, I don't feel the need to apologize to anybody else about it.

In the same interview I saw recently and found out he was originally from Brooklyn, among the many ones airing since he died, he also said that the first music he was really into was early rock n roll such as doo-wop, rockabilly, Dion, like that. I'll never have a chance to ask him how that music relates to the music he recorded, if it does at all. His music doesn't sound like 50's rock n roll to me, not at all. I know that's Dion singing back-up on Dirty Boulevard,and that's a great record and Dion most surely sounds great on it, but I don't hear any hints of 50's Dion on it, and I don't know if I'm meant to, I don't know if Lou heard anything related to 50's music when he listened to it, and I'll never be able to ask him. I never met him, and maybe it's incredibly presumptuous to write like this, as if I mean to imply that I might possibly have had a chance to ask him things like that, and maybe that earlier blog post about him also had nothing at all to do with who he really was. I never knew him, and I have no right to act as if I ever did. But his music affected me deeply, and hearing that he died felt like something vital was being ripped out of me, leaving blood all over the place, leaving me helpless. I never knew him but I miss him.

No comments:

Post a Comment