Monday, August 26, 2019

Dream Log: Love and Theatre in New York City

I dreamed that I was a young man in New York City some time during world War II, and that I had been drafted. I was one of a long line of men, most of us wearing knee-length coats and hats, moving from room to room in some enormous building full of varnished wood, as we were processed.

As a group of us were sitting in what appeared to be a lecture hall, with chairs bolted to the floor and desktops which folded away beside the chairs, I saw a women whom, in waking life, I knew thirty years ago.

Then suddenly it was the present day in New York City, I wasn't being drafted, the woman and I were still young, and we had just fallen in love with each other. She was a member of a theatre company, and got me an audition for a play she was starring in, a big-time play, a play on Broadway. I got the part.

After my successful audition I talked to an old man who had a cart on the sidewalk from which he sold fine reeds for reed instruments, mostly for saxophones. It was about the size of a hot-dog cart, and the reeds were piled up inside a glass case. Many of the best sax players in the city got their reeds from this guy, and he was wealthy, just from his income from the cart. He had long, wild white hair and a long white beard. I asked him why he never got a store and moved his business inside. He didn't even try to answer. Instead, he just shook his head and gave me a look that seemed to say: If you don't already understand why I don't want to move off of the sidewalk, I don't know how to explain it to you. It was a friendly look, not a disdainful one. Then he said, "Excuse me for a minute," and turned away and did some business with Branford Marsalis.

I've dreamed many times that I was in New York City. Many times before I lived there for a few years in the mid-1990's, and many times since. In some of those dreams the city has looked much as it does on waking life; in some other it has looked nothing at all like the real city. Last night it looked pretty similar to the real city, but much more beautiful. The architecture and the streets and sidewalks and staircases of stone or concrete were grander, and there was some sort of a sweet, mellow glow to everything. In real life the light in New York City can be very beautiful at moments, but in this dream it was even better. Better than this picture. This picture was the closest I could find to how things looked in the dream. It wasn't that everything looked expensive in the dream. It was something else:


The day after I got the part in the play, I was scheduled to attend a rehearsal which started at 1 o'clock in the afternoon, and I was running late, and I was downtown, and the theatre was in midtown, about 40 blocks away, and I was moving slowly, because I was carrying two 50-pound barbells which I had just obtained somehow. The terrain between downtown and midtown was a bit hillier than it is in real life, and there were some huge outdoor staircases to be climbed, and going up all of those steps with an extra 100 pounds was really difficult. It became more and more clear that I was going to be late.

After I woke up, I realized that in that sort of situation in real life, I would just have put the dumbbells down, written them off, and got on the subway, or, if time was really pressing, hailed a cab. But in the dream, none of those things seemed to be feasible. In the dream, the dumbbells were much, much too valuable to even consider putting them down. In real life, dumbells cost about a dollar a pound, sometimes less, and scale pay in a Broadway play, if I'm correctly informed, is currently $2,034 per week.

I was an hour and a half late to the rehearsal. (And my arms and shoulders were killing me by the time I got there.) I assumed I was going to be fired. However, the next day, the woman with whom I was in love went roller-skating around Manhattan with several other actors and two skating bears. This attention-grabbing behavior signaled that I was with her, and that if they fired me, they were going to have to fire her, too. So they didn't fire me.

Before that day's rehearsal began, this wonderful woman gave me a big hug and tried to explain to me that, although my new 50-pound dumbbells were really cool and all, if I were in a situation like that again, I could afford to just let them go. She wasn't really getting through to me on that point before I woke up. Then, of course, I knew she was right.

No comments:

Post a Comment