Tuesday, June 22, 2021

Once Upon a Time in LA

An ad for a music festival this December. My first thought was, Wow, this will be the biggest music festival EVER. My second, probably more accurate thought, was, I'm 60 years old, most of these musicians are kind of old too, and for all I actually know about contemporary music, the biggest music festival ever might be going on right now, filled with superstars I've never heard of. There's only one artist in the first two rows on this poster I hadn't already heard of. I had to look up YG on Wikipedia. (For all I know, mentioning that I looked up something on Wikipedia might also make young people laugh and say, Awwww, he's so cute and old, still uses Wikipedia!)

 

Wait, I remember now, actually my first thought was: Wow, Al Green's still alive?! Sorry, Al. But Al's not the only one I'm surprised to see among a list of the professionally-active. George Clinton? Rose Royce?

The Isley Brothers? Really? Are there still any actual Isley brothers in the Isley Brothers?

So, very quickly, my thoughts went from things like, Wow, biggest music festival EVER to things like: will there be enough ambulances and wheelchair access there?

And I have to stop here because it's time for my nap. Hey, I hope it really will be the biggest music festival of all time and bring young and old people together and blow everybody's minds. 

Hey, maybe I'll actually be there myself. Stranger things have happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment