Saturday, March 5, 2016

Nietzsche On His Atheism

From Ecce Homo, the chapter "Warum ich so klug bin" ("Why I'm So Clever"), in the middle of the 1st paragraph:

»Gott«, »Unsterblichkeit der Seele«, »Erlösung«, »Jenseits«, lauter Begriffe, denen ich keine Aufmerksamkeit, auch keine Zeit geschenkt habe, selbst als Kind nicht, – ich war vielleicht nie kindlich genug dazu? – Ich kenne den Atheismus durchaus nicht als Ergebniss, noch weniger als Ereigniss: er versteht sich bei mir aus Instinkt. Ich bin zu neugierig, zu fragwürdig, zu übermüthig, um mir eine faustgrobe Antwort gefallen zu lassen. Gott ist eine faustgrobe Antwort, eine Undelicatesse gegen uns Denker –, im Grunde sogar bloss ein faustgrobes Verbot an uns: ihr sollt nicht denken!

("God," "immortality of the soul," "salvation," "the beyond," all concepts which never held my attention, to which I also gave no time, not even as a child. Perhaps I was never childish enough for that sort of thing? I'm not familiar with atheism as the result of thinking, even less as an insight. With me it's a natural instinct. I'm too curious, too questionable, too arrogant to be satisfied with a crude answer. God is a crude answer, an impoliteness to us thinkers. In essence it's even a crude prohibition to us: "Thou shalt not think!")


I don't know how Nietzsche could have answered the question of whether or not he was an atheist much more clearly than that. Of course, some people will not be satisfied even with this. Some people are just impossible.



No comments:

Post a Comment