Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Rolling Stones Recording "Blues" Album With Eric Clapton

Read all about it.

I didn't realize they were still calling the band The Rolling Stones after Charlie died. [PS, 21 June 2017: Charlie Watts is alive and well. I don't know why I thought otherwise. Sorry.] Well, that's their business.

Some Stones fans seem to dislike the idea of them recording with Clapton. I'm not a huge Clapton fan but I'm not worried about the Stones recording with him: because, as many others have noted, Clapton is chameleon-like: get him with the Beatles, you get that riff on "While My Guitar Gently Weeps," one of the hugest things ever in "rock n roll." Get him jamming with Duane Allman and you get "Layla," almost as huge. Get him making an album with a lot of slick, soulless hired guns and he sounds like one more slick, soulless hired gun. Put him together with Mick, Keith and Ronnie, and I'm confident that Eric will be in fine form. Eric's a Christian, and Mick and Keith are -- well, they're Mick and Keith, but I don't foresee a problem. Music transcends stuff. Just look at U2: 3 Christians + 1 not so much = 1 tight band with no personnel changes in 40 years. Music transcends stuff.

In fact, it'd be great for the world's ears if the Stones could get Eric to join the band permanently. Unfortunately, though, I'm pretty sure Eric will be back to screwing up his next solo album soon. We've just got to try to enjoy the uncharacteristic brilliant moments when he teams up with brilliant people as much as we can.

No comments:

Post a Comment