Monday, February 14, 2022

Statistics About Electric Vehicles

The problem is, you don't always know what they mean. 

California has registered over one million EV's. First and foremost, I want to say that this is tremendously good news. And secondly, I want to acknowledge that it's possible that I'm the only one who doesn't know exactly what "EV's" means in this context. 

Possible, but it seems very unlikely. And it's not just this story. People say that so and so many EV's have been sold in this time frame in this place, and very often, the meaning of "EV" is not clearly specified.

The most common confusion is whether PHEV's are being counted along with BEV's. 

But that's not all. In case of the one-million-EV milestone in California: and just let me repeat: I think it's great, no matter what "EV" means exactly -- I don't know whether we're talking about cars,vans and light-duty trucks only, or whether we're talking about cars, vans and light-duty trucks, and also electric public-transportation buses, and private buses (think music superstars on tour), and delivery trucks and other large trucks, and electric earth-movers and farm equipment, and electric motorcycles and scooters (stand up scooters as well as sit-down scooters) and power assisted bicycles and electric unicycles. Yes, electric unicycles are a thing. 

If you added up all of those other categories besides car, vans and trucks -- all of the categories besides personal-use 4-wheel electric vehicles -- would it add up to enough to change the number significantly? I don't know. 

I know that the pollution avoided with an electric bus is much more than that avoided with an electric car. How much more? I don't know that either. 

And I don't know who knows these things, I don't know where to get this information. It would be nice to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment