Saturday, November 6, 2021

110's and 2100's

 My interest in G-Shocks was awoken earlier this year by pictures of the GM110RB:

I learned that the GM110 (M for their metal cases) series of G-Shocks had been released in 2020 to celebrate the 10th anniversary of the similar GA110 series (with plastic cases), which as of a while ago were the all-time best-selling series of G-Shocks, and may still be.

I had at first assumed that the above-pictured GM110RB was a departure in the 110 series as far as its intensely colorful nature is concerned. My assumption was incorrect. Just do a google image search for ga110 colorful and you will find pictures of all sorts of very boldly colorful GA110's, such as this one:

If anything, compared to the boldest GA110's, the GM110RB may be toning it down a little.

And to me, this is all good news because I like bright colorful stuff.

For a while I worried that maybe either the GA110 line, the plastic ones made since the year 2010, or the GM110's, the metal ones which came out in the year 2020, might soon be discontinued. But it seems that both GA110's and GM110's will still be around, at least for a while. The GM110RB, unfortunately, is a limited edition, and several other GM110's have been limited editions, but the gold GM110 Eminem wore in the "Higher" video, and the original silver GM110 both seem to be in production. As are a bunch of GA110's. 

As to whether or not the GA110 is still the most popular G-Shock series, as I said above, I think it's possible. But I doubt it. All signs I can see indicate that the 2100 series is now the most popular sort of G-Shock. The 2100. The Casioak. I hate the Casioak. That's all I have to say about the Casioak right now. If you want to learn more about it, just google casioak, and you find many people who are more than willing to go on and on about it, with no end of pictures of the watch they love and I hate.

I'm worried that the Casiok, the 2100 series, might be so popular that it will completely replace the 110's, that the 110's will stop being made, but that's probably a fairly irrational worry. However, the worry that fewer new 110 models will be made, to give Casio more time and resources to feed the public's hunger for Casioaks in ever more variations and colors -- that seems to me to be a perfectly rational worry. It's already happening.

No comments:

Post a Comment