Monday, December 20, 2021

My Brother's New G-Shock

Ever since I became interested in G-Shocks last spring, I've talked and talked a lot to my brother about them, and he has listened very patiently. Even though he himself didn't wear a watch and had no plans to get one. He'd listen to me talking about G-Shocks and related topics. But he said, repeatedly, that he was not interested in watches, that watches were jewelry, and that jewelry is for girls. 

My brother is fifty-eight years old.

So naturally, for Christmas this year I got him a G-Shock. A DW5600E-1V. Amazon delivered it to him a couple of days ago.

I was going to get him a Casio F91W, a non-G-Shock, one of the cheapest Casio watches available as far as I know. But then I saw that Amazon was offering this DW5600 at about half retail price, so I pounced.

In appearance, the DW-5600 is very similar to the first G-Shock offered in 1983. These sorts of G-Shocks, although their display is rectangular and 8-sided, are referred to by us G-Shock guys as "squares." Squares can come with all of the fancy options: solar charging, atomic-clock synching, GPS, Bluetooth, altimeter, barometer, compass, ambient-air thermometer, etc, etc. They also can be had with cases and straps made of coated steel or titanium. 

Long story short, there are lots and lots of squares to choose from. There are lots and lots of people who are fanatical about squares. Lots of them own lots of squares each. Many of them no doubt would object to my list of options as being misleadingly short, and would be perfectly happy to talk to you all day and night about squares and why they are the most awesome thing ever. By the way, I'm not exaggerating at all.

The DW5600E-1V, the one I got for my brother, has none of the options. The case and strap are plastic. There's no Bluetooth, no GPS, no solar, no radio-controlled synching, not a lot of fancy stuff. Just yr basic tough-as-nails G-Shock as worn by many special forces personnel of many nations.

And amazingly, either my brother absolutely loves it, or he's trying very hard to convince me that he does. It doesn't seem like he's being sarcastic with his positive comments. 

It might be neither; maybe he doesn't like the watch, and also isn't being sarcastic, but is sincerely trying to hide his aggravation. Trying very hard not to shout in anger: "I told you I don't like watches! I told you I didn't have the slightest interest in having one! I said it clearly and repeatedly! What's wrong with you? What's WRONG with you?!"

You know how brothers can aggravate each other sometimes.

My brother is a bit of an enigma sometimes. But I believe he sincerely likes this Christmas present. He's full of questions and comments about it. I don't believe he's faking the interest.

I also don't believe he's going to quickly morph into a flat-out G-Shock fanatic the way I did. Although who knows.

No comments:

Post a Comment