Friday, October 9, 2015

No Nobel For These Guys

In this post I already mentioned Joyce and Wittgenstein and Doeblin and Musil and Ginsberg and Pound and Strindberg and Ibsen. Let us not forget:

Brecht.

Tolstoy. Hello.

Borges. (Yes: this is making me feel better.)

Nabokov.

Proust. (PROUST!!!!)

Mark For Crying Out Loud Twain Ladies And Gentlemen.

I apologize that it took me this long to mention: Gertrude Stein. Has the Nobel Committee ever apologized about her? I don't think so.

Zola. (ZOLA!!!!!)

Chekhov!

If I didn't mention your favorite writer who didn't win -- James, Woolf, Burgess, whomever -- that probably means that I'm okay with their not having won, and not that I forgot to mention them. Especially Burgess. I'm actually GLAD Burgess didn't win. Abridge Finnegan's Wake, pfffff... And that's not the only reason. Burgess also said and wrote other things which made one think he was the kind of simp who'd abridge Finnegan's Wake.

No comments:

Post a Comment