Monday, February 18, 2019

Vaguely Humorous

"Yes -- successfully."

That's an entire diary entry by a character played by Michael Palin in "Monty Python's Flying Circus." I can think of 2 things to which it may have referred.

"Yr gonna hurt somebody with those."

That's what Andy Garcia's character says to Bridget Fonda's in The Godfather, Part III, when they first meet.


For nearly 3 decades I've been wondering which of 2 sets of things Andy might have been referring to -- and today I just thought of a 3rd which may be much more likely than the other 2.

I don't want to ask Palin, or the people who made Godfather III, what was done successfully, or what Bridget was gonna hurt somebody with -- and by the same token, I feel that I would be doing you, my readers, a disservice, if I told you what my guesses were. To me, that would be missing the point of what made those moments brilliant. These are two prime examples of letting the audience do some of the work. At both of those moments, I laughed right away, and then immediately asked myself whether I had misunderstood what was said, and I've been enjoying both moments for decades precisely because I can't figure them out. I don't know whether there are a lot of moments of this type of humour.

And even if in one or both of those moments, the creators knew exactly what was being implied, and it didn't occur to them that the statements could sound ambiguous -- even if that is the case, it's better, more entertaining, my way.

Maybe this is all not entirely unrelated to why those painters wouldn't explain their paintings to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment