Tuesday, September 3, 2019

People Being Hurt By the Trump Administration

In case you've been fortunate enough not to have been adversely affected by the Trump administration's policies slashing funding for social safety-net programs, and wondering whether anyone you know personally is feeling the effects --



-- well, for example, there's me. My food stamps have been discontinued and then continued again, back and forth a couple of times. Currently they've been cut off for a few months. And now the Social Security Administration informs me that they intend to discontinue my disability benefits as of next month. My Medicaid would be gone, and I might owe the government some money for years' worth of benefits they are now alleging that I was not eligible for.

A paralegal at the legal firm which represents me says that the threat to drop me from Disability and Medicaid is a simple mix-up and will be straightened out without too much trouble, internally, within Social Security, without having to take my case to court, and I shouldn't worry. I'm trying not to worry. As far as my food stamps are concerned, they're not sure whether or not those will be continued. They're looking into it.

And I'm doing a lot better than many disability recipients in that I have a lawyer. I can picture someone getting letters like the ones I've been getting from Social Security and having no idea what they mean (I had no idea what they meant, the paralegal had to explain them to me) or what to do about it.

I'm pretty sure I know what the Trump administration would like us to do about it -- die in the streets like dogs, after they've seized everything we have. That's what they'd like us to do.

Like I said, I'm trying not to worry. I hope that paralegal knows what she's talking about. I'm hoping I'm wrong when it feels to me that is Trump appointees coming after me and everything I own (it's not much), and that it's very, very personal.

No comments:

Post a Comment